Adult Services Librarian/Assistant Director: Margaret Bentley
More Location Information
Parking is available behind the library on the north side of the building. Access is from Bradley Street.
The idea of a library for the people of Owosso grew out of a literary club. During the Civil War, a group of women met regularly to work for the Union cause and to help provide for the soldiers. Once the war was over, they continued to meet together as a literary club. On May 5, 1867 the Ladies’ Library Association was formally organized. In August of 1910, the City of Owosso agreed to take over the library. In 1911, the Carnegie Corporation was contacted regarding the funds for a new building; land was donated by the Woodard family. Ground was broken for the building on September 2, 1913, and on October 28, 1913, the cornerstone was laid. On July 4, 1914, a formal dedication of the new building was held. Once the books could be moved into place, it was opened to the public. In 1994, The Owosso Public and Durand Memorial Libraries combined to form the Shiawassee District Library. A more detailed history may be found in 100 Years of Service: The Shiawassee District Library, 1914-2014.