Make & Take Crafts
Come for a fun time making a craft to take home with you.
More Location Information
Parking is available on Saginaw St. directly in front of the library. Additional parking is available along the north side of Trumble Park on Monroe Rd.
The Durand Memorial Library opened its doors in March of 1954 after years of community efforts to raise money for construction. Area schoolchildren even participated by selling paper bricks for $1.00 each. Most of the library’s original furnishings were locally handcrafted and donated.
The library was established as a living memorial to area veterans who served in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War, and a plaque with their names is on display in the lobby. At the library’s groundbreaking in 1953, Durand Mayor Norman Sparling said “This beautiful building will be a continuous living memorial to our servicemen. The people of Durand will be proud of this structure and the part it will help play in our community.”
The library building has expanded since it opened, beginning with the addition of the children’s room in 1971. Community fundraising and a $25,000 contribution from the City of Durand in 1980 funded an addition for the adult collections. The reading room was added in 1989 with funds from the City of Durand, the Friends of the Library, and a Library Services and Construction Act grant. The furnishings for the reading room were provided by the Friends of the Library.
Technology has improved the library’s services through the years. A computerized circulation system was added in the mid 1990’s, and in 1995 the library offered its first Internet access for the staff. Patrons were able to access the Internet beginning in 1997 with just computer. Two grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in the 2000’s increased the library’s computers and internet access to seven public computers. The library’s first website was added in 1999, and a new website was launched in 2021. Wireless printing was also added as a service in early 2021.
The library has been headed by four different librarians since it opened. The first librarian was Iva Holmes Stevenson who served from 1954 until her retirement in May of 1960. The second librarian was Muriel Hall from 1960 until mid-1969. Occupying the role in the summer of 1969 was Ruth Whitcomb who continued at the library until late 1979. Nancy (Greeson) Folaron took on the role of head librarian in September of 1979 and continues to work as the branch manager.
The library merged with the former Owosso Public Library and the townships of Bennington, Owosso and Rush to form the Shiawassee District Library in 1994. The Durand Memorial Library currently operates as a branch of that system. The library board consists of members of each of the participating municipalities and is funded by a voted millage.